Tickets: $15 per lecture or $50 for the
series of four. They can be purchased Saturdays at the museum (10 am -
5 pm), from a CHP member or by calling 416-515-7546 or just pick them
up at the lecture (if room available). Tickets
are limited to a maximum of 30 people per lecture.
Where: The Tollkeeper's Cottage, NW corner of Bathurst and Davenport.
When: Starting promptly at 7 pm.
There will be a break part way through the evening for tea or coffee. After each lecture, the lecturer will accept questions from the audience.
The Tollkeeper’s Cottage is a museum
wholly owned and operated by the Community History Project – a local
history society serving on a volunteer basis. The museum is in a
restored historic building dating from around 1835 and is a rare
remnant from the beginning of the 19th century tolling system in Upper
Canada. The restoration has been to the building’s earliest start –
1835 – but has been furnished with antiques up to 180 when a family of
nine lived in the building’s three rooms.. Designated by the City of
Toronto, the Tollkeeper’s Cottage is of national significance as it is
the only historic tollhouse known to have survived into the present
time, and it is also rare for its vertical plank construction. In
period dress, trained docents are on duty every Saturday from 10 am
until 5 pm (4pm winter--closed between Christmas and New Year) and will take visitors on a tour for a modest donation. The
museum is not subsidized by governments and raises its own operating
costs through these donations and various fundraising programmes. Some
items now part of the museum are extremely rare and interesting, but
you will have to visit to find out what they are! And yes, very selected furnishings
are still being accepted into the collection but only after being
vetted by an expert.
Some of the annual programmes offered at the museum are: a series of lectures by experts in a spring and fall series on various historical subjects, knitting, rug-braiding, a Food Focus series of events featuring indigenous Canadian foods (berries, nuts, etc. and actual recipes using these foods as taken from historic sources. Special arrangements can be made for school classes, seniors and other group tours or special programmes preferably by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 416-515-7546 and leaving a message for rates and dates. The modern addition to the historic building can also be rented for special events such as meetings, receptions. The museum is open at special times throughout the years, for example for selected Wednesday evening lectures. Visit this website periodically to learn more about these and other events. Contacting us by email at email@example.com is much preferable as we don't check the phone as often. – .Recent article in Town Crier by Eric Emin Wood about the cottage.
Watch this site for changing tidbits on
local history, announcements of new programmes etc.
Aug 22,Sept 7
Look for the Blue Canoe near our commemorative birch trees. Thanks to the wonderful people at City of Toronto Parks Department, the David Suzuki Foundation, and the Mississaugas of the New Credit for making this possible.
Open Sun Aug 22 and Monday 7 Sept (labour day) from 1 to 4pm
Mark the Date!